Check out this recipes and try a bite at the Global Market.
Shrimp Ecuadorian Ceviche
Ceviche is a popular seafood dish typically made with raw fish cured in citrus juice and spiced.
Start to finish: 30 minutes
Recipe provided by Carolina Ortiz and Ruben Bedon
- 2 red onions, sliced thinly
- 2 pounds (about 1 kilogram) of cooked shrimp
- 4 tomatoes, sliced very thinly or diced
- 1 bell pepper (red or green), diced (optional)
- The juice of 12–14 limes
- The juice of 1 orange
- ½ cup of ketchup or ½ cup of freshly blended tomato juice (for a fresher style ceviche)
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped finely
- Salt, ground black pepper and oil (sunflower or light olive oil)
- Soak the onion slices in salt water for about 10 minutes. Rinse well and drain.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together and let it sit in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
- Serve with chifles (fried green banana or green plantain chips) or patacones (thick fried green plantains) and popcorn.
Syrian Lentil Soup
Recipe provided by Abigail Yasmeen
- 2 bags of orange lentils
- 2 large onions
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cubes of chicken stock
- 5–10 cups of water
- Pita bread
- ½ cup olive oil, and 2 tablespoons
- Soak lentils overnight or for a couple hours in room-temperature water. Strain and rinse. Then leave to soak again for step three of the recipe.
- Begin sauteing the onions and garlic in olive oil until yellow. Then add ginger and spices.
- When you begin to smell the spices mixing aromatically (1–3 minutes), add tomatoes and strained lentils.
- Let bubble, add chicken stock, taste to confirm spice amounts
- Slowly add cups of water until it reaches 3 or more inches above the lentils
- Let simmer for 10–30 minutes on very low heat. Stir every 5–10 minutes.
- While simmering, cut pita bread into small triangles or squares and fry lightly in the remaining olive oil in a pan until brown.
- When the soup reaches a stew-like consistency and the lentils are soft, pour into bowls and top with pita bread pieces.